Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ordering food at home in Cairo-Otlob

For days when you don’t feel like cooking and you can’t even be bothered going out, otlob provides the best alternative-ordering food at home. And it is extremely easy to use-log onto www.otlob.com; register your self and voila! –you have access to the some of the best restaurants in town! All the menus are in English and even the support staff speak very good English. This service is primarily aimed at the English speaking expatriate community and is very convenient as it does away with the hassle of conversing in Arabic.

I have been using this service for some time now; there have been some minor hiccups at times-small differences in the total amount, sometimes a delay in the delivery-they ask for a minimum delivery time of 45 minutes.

However, last night, when I ordered on Otlob, I had a huge surprise-I had ordered from “Arabica”, a restaurant in Zamalek. My total bill on the Otlob site showed LE 51.5. But when the restaurant delivered the food to my house, their bill showed an amount of LE 84.5-a difference of more than LE 30 from the Otlob site. When I called up the restaurant, I was told that they had a new menu and the bill was according to this new menu-the menu on Otlob had the rates according to the old menu. There was nothing to do but pay up!

However, I did register a complaint on the Otlob website and they got back to me within an hour-the guy who called me up from Otlob offered profuse apologies and assured me that the complaint had been forwarded to the right persons within Otlob to ensure that such errors do not occur in the future. Had been quite upset with the mix-up but was happy to see the response of Otlob-they take the complaints seriously!

No comments: