Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas in Cairo

It is easy to forget that you are in Cairo-an Islamic country….Cairo is gearing up for Christmas in a big way. Visit any shop, walk on the streets, check out the schedule for any club/ association and you will realize what I mean. Christmas trees on sale line the pavements, Christmas balls and santa claus parties are being hosted at the various hotels/clubs, the stores are decked out in the traditional Christmas colors of red, green and white; Christmas trees even blink at you from the hoardings and the walls of building; enter any shop and you are likely to hear christmas carols being played.

Last evening, I visited the Carrefour store at the city centre in Maadi –a huge red Christmas tree had been put up in the foyer. Now, I know a Christmas tree is not red but this one was-potted red plants arranged to resemble a Christmas tree. The lovely decorations on sale at the store made me feel really nostalgic – I realized that I had missed the festive spirit of Christmas during my three years in Saudi Arabia. Cairo is so much like Mumbai in India where every festival-be it diwali, eid or Christmas is a part of the fabric of life.

Christmas this year, is going to be different for me-friends, food, laughter, music and maybe, even a Christmas tree-( I have already selected one, I just have to convince my neigbourhood florist to sell it to me for 30 pounds:)). Here in Cairo, it is not only the snip in the air that reminds you that Christmas is 'round the corner.

No comments: